Septum piercing has become popular over the years, and many people have opted for this piercing. It’s an attractive way to express individuality, but what happens when you leave your septum piercing out for an extended period? Will it close up overnight? Many questions surround this topic, so keep reading to find out your answer
What Is a Septum Piercing?
A septum piercing is a type of nose piercing placed through the thin tissue between the nostrils. Unlike other nose piercings, the septum piercing does not damage cartilage or bone. Instead, the piercing needle passes through the soft tissue known as the nasal septum.
Septum piercings have become increasingly popular due to their versatility in allowing for different jewelry styles. The most common types of jewelry used in septum piercings are horseshoe rings, circular barbells, and captive bead rings.
These piercings are common among various cultures worldwide, including Native Americans, Nepalese, and Tribes of the Amazon. The age range for septum piercings varies, and some people may get them as young as 16, while others wait until they’re older to make the decision.
How Long Does A Nose Piercing Take to Close?
The time it takes for a nose piercing to close varies from person to person. In general, if a nose piercing is well-established and fully healed, it may take several weeks or even months for the hole to close completely. However, during the initial healing period (which typically lasts 2 to 4 months), the piercing hole lasts a matter of hours rather than a matter of days if the jewelry is removed for an extended period. Be cautious with your nose piercing and avoid removing the jewelry unnecessarily, especially during the healing process, to prevent premature closure. If you have concerns about your piercing, consult with a professional piercer for guidance.
So, your septum piercing will close up overnight if you get a fresh piercing. Generally, the longer you’ve had the piercing for, the longer it’ll take to close up.
How to Take Care of Your Septum Piercing?
Septum piercings require proper aftercare to prevent infections and promote healing. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to take care of your septum piercing:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching the piercing.
- Clean the piercing twice a day using saline or sea salt solution recommended by your piercer.
- Avoid touching or twisting the jewelry, as this can cause irritation.
- Rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash after meals to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Avoid swimming or soaking in hot tubs for at least two weeks.
- Wear loose clothing that doesn’t rub against the piercing.
- Avoid makeup and facial products that may irritate the piercing.
Tips for Maintaining an Open Septum Piercing
- Wear jewelry regularly: Wearing jewelry in the piercing helps prevent the hole from closing up.
- Massage the piercing site: Gently massaging the piercing site can help promote circulation and prevent scar tissue from forming.
- Avoid irritants: Try to avoid things that can irritate the piercing, such as facial products or particle-filled environments.
- Keep it clean: Proper aftercare is essential for maintaining an open piercing.
The Best Jewelry Options
- Horseshoe rings: These are circular rings with a little space in the middle, giving them the appearance of a horseshoe.
- Circular barbells: These are similar to horseshoe rings, but they have balls on either side instead of a gap in the middle.
- Captive bead rings: These are circular rings with a small ball or bead that sits in the gap, holding the ring in place.
Ultimately, the best jewelry option for you comes down to personal preference and comfort. It’s essential to choose high-quality jewelry to prevent infections and irritation.
Septum piercings are a popular way to express individuality, but many people wonder if they will close up overnight after removal. While the closure time frame varies from person to person, septum piercings tend to close up faster than other types of body modifications. By following proper aftercare, you can promote healing and prevent infections. And if you decide to remove your septum piercing, it’s important to do so safely to avoid complications.
- How painful is getting a septum piercing? Getting a septum piercing is relatively painless compared to other types of nose piercings.
- Can I wear makeup with a septum piercing? It’s best to avoid makeup and facial products that may irritate the piercing during the healing process.
- How long does it take for a septum piercing to heal? Healing times vary from person to person, but it typically takes six to eight weeks for a septum piercing to heal fully.
- How do I know if my septum piercing is infected? Signs of infection include redness, swelling, discharge, and increased pain or tenderness.
- Can I stretch a septum piercing? Yes, septum piercings can be stretched, but it’s essential to do so slowly and carefully to avoid complications.