As the makeup industry continues to evolve, new products are released every year. While some may seem like fads that come and go, others have a lasting impact on how we do our makeup. One such product is tubing mascara.
If you haven’t heard of it before, tubing mascara is a type of mascara that forms “tubes” around your lashes instead of coating them in pigment. It’s a unique formula that has many benefits over traditional mascaras. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what is tubing mascara, how it works, and why you should consider using it.
What is Tubing Mascara?
Tubing mascara is a type of mascara that uses polymer-based formulas to create tubes around each individual lash. Instead of coating your lashes in pigment, the mascara creates little tubes around each hair. This gives you a more defined and lengthened look compared to traditional mascaras. “Tubing mascara is a great option for people who want the look of false lashes without the irritation. It is also a good choice for people who have oily skin, as it is less likely to smudge.” – said Sandy Lin, celebrity makeup artist and founder of SL Beauty.
Tubing mascara also has superior staying power. Since the formula doesn’t smudge or flake off, it can last all day without needing touch-ups. And when it’s time to remove your makeup, the tubes slide off easily with warm water.
How Does Tubing Mascara Work?
The polymer-based formula used in tubing mascara is the secret to its success. When you apply the mascara, the polymers wrap themselves around each individual lash and dry quickly. As they dry, they form tiny tubes that encase each lash. This gives you the appearance of longer, fuller lashes without any clumping.
Because the formula is water-resistant, the tubes stay put all day long. Even if you rub your eyes or get caught in the rain, your mascara won’t smudge or flake off. The tubes will slide off your lashes easily, leaving no residue behind.
Benefits and drawbacks of Tubing Mascara
Like any beauty product, tubing mascara has its pros and cons. Here are a few things to consider before making the switch:
- Lengthens and defines lashes without clumping
- Superior staying power compared to traditional mascaras
- Water-resistant formula doesn’t smudge or flake off
- Easy to remove with warm water
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Can be more expensive than traditional mascaras
- Limited color options available
- May not provide as much volume as some people prefer
- Takes longer to dry than traditional mascaras
How do you Apply Tubing Mascara
Applying tubing mascara is similar to applying traditional mascara. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by curling your lashes with an eyelash curler.
- Use the wand to coat your lashes from root to tip.
- Wait a few seconds for the formula to dry and form tubes around your lashes.
- Apply a second coat if desired.
- When you’re ready to remove the mascara, use warm water and gentle pressure to slide the tubes off your lashes.
Tubing Mascara vs. Traditional Mascara
- Staying power: Tubing mascara lasts longer than traditional mascara and won’t smudge or flake off.
- Volume: Traditional mascara can provide more volume than tubing mascara, making it a better option for those looking for a more dramatic look.
- Removal: Tubing mascara is easier to remove than traditional mascara since it slides off with warm water.
is tubing mascara waterproof?
Tubing mascara is water-resistant, but not waterproof. This means that it can withstand sweat, tears, and light rain, but it will come off if you submerge your lashes in water for an extended period of time.
Instead of relying on oil-based or wax-based formulas that create a waterproof barrier, tubing mascara forms tiny “tubes” around your lashes using polymer-based ingredients. These tubes are resistant to smudging and flaking and are known for their longevity.
If you are looking for a mascara that will stay put all day, even if you go swimming or sweat a lot, then you may want to consider using a traditional waterproof mascara. However, if you are looking for a mascara that is water-resistant and easy to remove, then tubing mascara is a good option.
Is tubing mascara safe for sensitive eyes?
Yes, tubing mascara is generally safe for sensitive eyes. “Tubing mascara is a great option for people with sensitive eyes or who are prone to allergies. It is also a good choice for people who live in humid climates or who tend to sweat a lot, as it is water-resistant and smudge-proof.” – said Dr. Joshua Zeichner, dermatologist and director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City
It is less likely to irritate your eyes than traditional mascara because it does not contain as many harsh chemicals. Tubing mascara is also easier to remove, which can help to reduce the amount of rubbing and tugging on your lashes.
However, it is important to note that even tubing mascara can irritate some people’s eyes. If you have sensitive eyes, it is always a good idea to do a patch test before using any new mascara product. To do a patch test, apply a small amount of the mascara to the skin behind your ear and wait 24 hours. If you do not experience any irritation, then it is likely safe to use the mascara on your eyes.
Here are some additional tips for choosing and using tubing mascara for sensitive eyes:
- Look for a tubing mascara that is fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
- Avoid tubing mascaras that contain known irritants, such as alcohol, parabens, and sulfates.
- Apply tubing mascara with a gentle touch. Avoid tugging or pulling on your lashes.
- Remove tubing mascara promptly at the end of the day to avoid any irritation.
best tubing mascaras
Kevyn Aucoin The Volume Mascara ($32): This mascara is renowned for its impressive volume-boosting abilities without clumping or flaking. Plus, it’s water-resistant and smudge-proof, ensuring all-day wear.
Thrive Causemetics Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara ($25): Achieve the look of false lashes without the weight or discomfort with this mascara. It offers long-lasting wear and easy removal.
Essence Bye Bye Panda Eyes! Tubing Mascara ($5): An affordable tubing mascara that won’t break the bank, this option is both water-resistant and smudge-proof.
Blinc Original Tubing Mascara ($29): A timeless favorite, this mascara boasts a durable formula that provides natural-looking volume and length.
Tower 28 Beauty MakeWaves Lengthening & Volumizing Clean Mascara ($20): For those seeking a tubing mascara with clean and vegan credentials, this option delivers while also being water-resistant and smudge-proof.
- Can I wear tubing mascara with contact lenses? Yes, tubing mascara is safe to wear with contact lenses. Because the formula doesn’t flake off, it won’t get into your eyes and cause irritation.
- Will tubing mascara run if I cry or get caught in the rain? No, tubing mascara is water-resistant and won’t smudge or flake off even if you cry or get caught in the rain.
- Can I use tubing mascara on my bottom lashes? Yes, tubing mascara can be used on both top and bottom lashes. Just be sure to apply it carefully to avoid getting product on your skin.
Tubing mascara is a revolutionary new makeup product that’s definitely worth trying. Its unique formula creates tubes around each individual lash, giving you longer, more defined lashes without any clumping. And because the formula is water-resistant, it lasts all day without needing touch-ups.
While tubing mascara may not be for everyone, it’s a great option for those looking for a long-lasting, natural-looking mascara. So why not give it a try and see how it works for you?