If you’re someone who’s passionate about facial hair, you know that it takes a lot of effort to maintain and groom it. While growing a beard comes naturally to most men, maintaining it can be challenging. That’s where beard balm comes in.
Beard balm is a grooming product that helps keep your beard soft, smooth, and well-groomed. It’s made of natural ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil, and essential oils that nourish your facial hair and skin.
In this article, we’ll dive deeper into what beard balm is, how it works, and the benefits of using one.
BEARD BALM INGREDIENTS
Beeswax is one of the primary ingredients in beard balm, providing the product with its hold and shaping abilities. It helps in styling your beard by giving it structure and definition. Beeswax also offers a protective layer, safeguarding your facial hair from external elements while locking in moisture.
Shea butter is known for its excellent moisturizing properties. It hydrates both the beard strands and the underlying skin, preventing dryness and itchiness. Shea butter also contributes to the softness and manageability of the beard.
Various carrier oils, such as jojoba oil, argan oil, and coconut oil, are commonly included in beard balm formulations. These oils provide essential nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids that nourish the beard and promote healthy growth. They also add a natural sheen to the facial hair, giving it a well-groomed appearance.
Essential oils are not only responsible for giving beard balm its pleasing scent but also offer additional benefits. Oils like cedarwood, sandalwood, and lavender have aromatherapeutic properties and can contribute to a relaxing grooming experience. Some essential oils also possess antibacterial or anti-inflammatory qualities, benefiting the skin beneath the beard.
Cocoa butter is often included in beard balm for its moisturizing properties and its ability to add a velvety texture to the product. It aids in softening the beard and providing a smooth application.
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps in promoting overall skin health and repairing damaged hair follicles. It can contribute to a healthier, fuller beard over time.
Beard balms can feature natural fragrances derived from essential oils. These scents not only make the grooming routine more enjoyable but also provide a subtle and refreshing aroma to your beard.
Lanolin is another ingredient that’s sometimes included in beard balm formulations. It helps in locking in moisture, providing a barrier against dryness and environmental factors.
How Does Beard Balm Work?
Beard balm works by providing two main benefits: moisturizing and styling.
When you apply beard balm, the natural ingredients penetrate your facial hair and skin, providing moisture and hydration. This helps prevent dryness, flakiness, and itchiness while making your beard look and feel softer.
Moreover, beard balm also provides hold, keeping your facial hair in place and preventing flyaways and stray hairs. This is particularly useful for longer beards that tend to get unruly.
HOW TO APPLY BEARD BALM
Step 1: Cleanse Your Beard
Begin the process by washing your beard thoroughly with a gentle beard shampoo. This cleanses your facial hair and the underlying skin, removing any dirt, oils, or product buildup. Pat your beard dry with a clean towel.
Step 2: Scoop Out a Small Amount
Open the container of beard balm and scoop out a small amount using your fingertip or the back of your thumbnail. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way, especially if you’re new to using beard balm.
Step 3: Warm the Balm
Rub the balm between your palms to warm it up. This helps to melt the balm slightly, making it easier to distribute evenly throughout your beard.
Step 4: Apply to Your Beard
Start applying the beard balm from the roots of your facial hair, working your way down to the tips. Ensure that the balm is evenly spread, covering all the beard strands. Use your fingers to gently massage the balm into your beard and the underlying skin. This not only conditions your facial hair but also promotes healthy growth.
Step 5: Style Your Beard
After applying the balm, you can use a beard comb or brush to shape and style your beard as desired. Beard balm offers a light to medium hold, which helps in taming unruly hairs and maintaining the desired shape throughout the day.
Step 6: Allow the Balm to Settle
Give the beard balm a few minutes to settle in. As it absorbs, it will provide a natural sheen to your beard, giving it a healthy and well-maintained appearance.
Step 7: Clean Up Excess Balm
If you feel that you’ve applied too much balm and your beard appears greasy or heavy, you can use a dry towel to gently pat away the excess. Remember, finding the right amount for your beard’s length and texture might take a little trial and error.
Step 8: Enjoy the Benefits
Regular use of beard balm not only improves the look and feel of your facial hair but also helps in nourishing the skin underneath. The natural ingredients often found in beard balms can promote hair health and prevent itchiness or dryness.
Benefits of Using Beard Balm
Using beard balm has several benefits for your facial hair and skin, including:
- Moisturizes the skin: The natural ingredients in beard balm provide moisture and hydration to the skin under your beard, preventing dryness and itchiness.
- Softens facial hair: Beard balm helps soften and condition your facial hair, making it easier to manage and style.
- Prevents split ends: The moisturizing and nourishing properties of beard balm help prevent split ends and breakage.
- Provides hold: Unlike beard oil, beard balm provides a light hold, keeping your facial hair in place and looking well-groomed.
- Adds shine: Coconut oil in beard balm adds shine to your beard, making it look healthier and more vibrant.
Best Beard Balms For Better Styling
- Honest Amish Original Beard Balm: Made with all-natural ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, and essential oils, this beard balm conditions and styles your beard while providing a woodsy scent.
- Smooth Viking Beard Balm: This beard balm contains argan oil, jojoba oil, and mango butter, which helps moisturize and soften your beard while providing a light hold and a refreshing scent.
- Beard Bolt XL Beard Balm: Infused with eucalyptus and lavender essential oils, this beard balm provides a soothing scent while conditioning and styling your beard.
- Mountaineer Brand WV Timber Beard Balm: Made with cedarwood, fir needle, and patchouli essential oils, this beard balm provides a masculine scent and keeps your beard soft and healthy.
- Billy Jealousy Beard Balm: This balm is known for its strong hold and matte finish. It is made with natural ingredients, including argan oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter, which help to moisturize and soften the beard. It also has a subtle woodsy scent.
- Cremo Styling Beard Balm: This balm is easy to apply and gives a medium hold. It is made with a blend of natural oils and butters, including argan oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter, which help to moisturize and soften the beard. It also has a light, refreshing scent.
- Uppercut Beard Balm: It is a good choice for those who want a strong hold and a shiny finish. It is made with natural ingredients, including beeswax, shea butter, and argan oil, which help to condition and protect the beard. It also has a subtle citrus scent.
- Grave Before Shave Beard Balm: Grave balm is made with all-natural ingredients, including beeswax, shea butter, and essential oils. It is a good choice for those with sensitive skin. It has a light hold and a natural finish.
- Wild Willies Beard Butter: This beard butter is a good choice for those who want a heavy moisturizer. It is made with a blend of natural oils and butters, including shea butter, cocoa butter, and mango butter. It has a light, nutty scent.
- Detroit Grooming Co. Beard Balm: This balm is made with a blend of natural ingredients, including argan oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax. It has a medium hold and a natural finish. It also has a subtle woodsy scent.
Comparisons: Beard Balm vs. Beard Oil
While both beard balm and beard oil serve the same purpose of grooming your facial hair, they have some key differences.
Beard oil is a conditioning product that moisturizes and nourishes your facial hair and skin. It’s made of carrier oils like jojoba, argan, or coconut oil, which penetrate the skin and hair, providing hydration and nutrients.
On the other hand, beard balm not only conditions but also provides hold to your facial hair, keeping it in place and preventing flyaways. It’s made of natural ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, and essential oils that provide moisture, hydration, and fragrance.
If you have a short beard, beard oil might be sufficient. However, if you have a longer beard that needs more styling, beard balm would be a better choice.
Advices for Using Beard Balm
- Start with a clean and dry beard: Wash your beard with a gentle shampoo and towel dry it before applying beard balm.
- Use a small amount: A pea-sized amount of beard balm is usually enough for most beards. Rub it between your palms to warm it up and apply it evenly throughout your beard.
- Comb or brush your beard: After applying beard balm, use a comb or brush to distribute it evenly and style your beard as desired.
- Experiment with different brands: Different beard balms have varying fragrances and consistencies. Try out a few different brands to find the one that works best for you.
- Store in a cool, dry place: To prolong the shelf life of your beard balm, keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Can I use beard balm every day? Yes, you can use beard balm every day. In fact, using it daily helps keep your beard looking and feeling healthy and well-groomed.
- Can beard balm help with beard itch? Yes, beard balm can help with beard itch by moisturizing and nourishing the skin under your beard, preventing dryness and flakiness.
- Is beard balm suitable for all beard types? Yes, beard balm is suitable for all beard types, whether short or long.
- How often should I apply beard balm? It depends on your beard type and personal preference. Most people apply beard balm once a day, but if you have a particularly dry or unruly beard, you can apply it twice a day.
- Can beard balm cause acne? No, beard balm is unlikely to cause acne as long as you clean and moisturize your skin regularly and avoid applying too much product.
Beard balm is an essential grooming product for anyone serious about maintaining a healthy and well-groomed beard. By providing moisture, nourishment, and hold to your facial hair, beard balm helps keep your beard looking and feeling its best.
Whether you’re a seasoned beards man or just starting your beard journey, adding beard balm to your grooming routine can make a significant difference. So why not give it a try and see the results for yourself?