If you’re someone who loves skincare and makeup products, then you must have heard about BB creams. BB cream stands for “beauty balm” or “blemish balm.” It is a versatile beauty product that has taken the beauty world by storm.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about BB cream. Scrolling down.
What Is BB Cream?
BB cream is a multi-functional cosmetic product that combines the benefits of skincare and makeup. It is an all-in-one product that moisturizes, conceals, primes, and protects the skin from UV rays. The original concept of BB cream originated in Germany in the 1960s, but it gained popularity in South Korea in the 2000s. Since then, BB creams have become an essential part of skincare and makeup routines worldwide.
BB creams come in different shades and formulas to match various skin types and concerns. They are lightweight, easy to apply, and blend smoothly onto the skin. Unlike traditional foundation, BB cream provides light to medium coverage without clogging pores or feeling heavy on the skin.
Benefits of bb cream
BB creams provide a light and natural coverage, perfect for those looking to even out their skin tone and conceal minor imperfections without the heaviness. Additionally, they often contain moisturizing ingredients, antioxidants, and sun protection, making them an excellent choice for those seeking a daily skincare and makeup solution. The lightweight and breathable formula of BB creams ensures that your skin remains comfortable and well-hydrated throughout the day, making them suitable for various skin types.
Beyond their cosmetic benefits, BB creams also offer protection against harmful UV rays, which is crucial for preventing sun damage, premature aging, and maintaining healthy skin.
According to Dr. Joshua Zeichner, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City: “BB creams can be a good way to get a quick and easy makeup routine that still provides some skin benefits.” Actually, the convenience of having a primer, foundation, sunscreen, and skincare all in one product makes BB cream an essential addition to many makeup routines, whether you’re going for a natural, “no-makeup” look or building up a more elaborate makeup style.
How To Apply BB Cream Like A Professional Makeup Artist
Applying BB cream like a professional makeup artist requires a few key steps and techniques to achieve a flawless and natural-looking finish. BB cream, which stands for “blemish balm” or “beauty balm,” is a versatile product that combines skincare benefits with light coverage. Here’s how to apply it like a pro:
Step1: Start with a Clean Canvas
Begin by cleansing your face to remove any dirt, oil, and makeup residues. Follow with your regular skincare routine, including moisturizer and sunscreen.
Step 2: Gather Your Tools
- You’ll need your BB cream, a makeup sponge or brush (depending on your preference), and possibly a primer if you prefer to use one.
- Select a BB cream shade that matches your skin tone or is just slightly lighter. It’s essential to find the right shade for a natural look.
Step 3: Apply a Primer (Optional)
If you have large pores or want to extend the wear of your BB cream, apply a primer before the BB cream. This can help create a smoother surface for makeup application.
Step 4: Dispense a Small Amount
Squeeze a small amount of BB cream onto the back of your hand or onto a makeup palette. You can always add more if needed.
Step 5: Dot and Blend
Use your fingers, a makeup sponge, or a brush to dot the BB cream evenly across your face, focusing on areas where you need coverage the most (typically the center of the face). Avoid using too much product; it’s easier to add more if necessary.
Step 6: Blend Gently
Blend the BB cream into your skin using gentle, outward motions. You can use a damp makeup sponge for a sheer, natural finish or a foundation brush for slightly more coverage. Blend well into the hairline, jawline, and neck to avoid harsh lines.
Step 7: Layer if Needed
If you desire more coverage in specific areas, you can layer the BB cream by adding a small amount to those areas and blending it in.
Step 8: Conceal Blemishes
Use a concealer to cover any remaining blemishes or imperfections if needed. Dab the concealer on and blend it into the skin.
Step 9: Finish with Other Makeup (Optional)
- If you have oily skin or want to enhance the longevity of your BB cream, you can set it with a light, translucent setting powder. Apply sparingly to avoid a heavy, cakey look.
- You can finish your makeup routine with other products like blush, bronzer, mascara, and lipstick, depending on your preference and the level of coverage you desire.
BB cream can be used as a standalone product or as a base for other makeup products like concealer, powder, or blush. It is perfect for those who want a natural, no-makeup look or for busy individuals who don’t have time for an extensive beauty routine.
BB Cream Vs. Foundation
Foundation provides higher coverage than BB cream. It is suitable for those who want to cover severe blemishes, scars, or pigmentation. BB cream, on the other hand, provides light to medium coverage and is best for those who want a natural, everyday look.
Foundation has a more matte or dewy finish, depending on the formula. It is ideal for those who want a flawless, airbrushed look. BB cream has a more natural finish that enhances the skin’s texture and glow.
Foundation formulas are thicker and heavier than BB cream. They require more effort to blend and may clog pores or cause breakouts. BB cream formulas are lightweight, comfortable to wear, and suitable for all skin types.
Most BB creams contain SPF protection that shields the skin from harmful UV rays. Foundations may or may not have SPF, and you need to apply sunscreen separately.
Overall, BB cream is a more versatile and convenient option than foundation, especially for those who prefer a minimalistic approach to beauty.
BB cream vs. cc cream
BB cream provides a balanced blend of light coverage, hydration, and sun protection, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a natural, everyday look with added skincare benefits. CC cream, on the other hand, focuses on color correction and complexion improvement, offering more coverage and targeted solutions for issues like redness or uneven skin tone.
Choosing between them depends on your desired level of coverage and specific skincare concerns, with BB cream perfect for a fresh and effortless appearance and CC cream tailored to those seeking to address color-related imperfections while enjoying the advantages of skincare ingredients.
- Can I use BB cream as a moisturizer? BB cream contains moisturizing ingredients that hydrate the skin, but it cannot replace a dedicated moisturizer. If you have dry skin, apply a moisturizer before using BB cream for optimal hydration.
- Is BB cream suitable for oily skin? Yes, BB cream is suitable for oily skin as it has a lightweight formula that doesn’t clog pores or cause breakouts. Look for oil-free or mattifying formulas that control shine and provide a natural finish.
- Can I wear BB cream to the gym? It’s not recommended to wear BB cream to the gym as it can clog your pores and cause breakouts. Instead, opt for a lightweight, non-comedogenic sunscreen that provides sun protection without interfering with your workout.
- How often should I reapply BB cream? If you spend considerable time outdoors, it’s recommended to reapply BB cream every two hours to maintain its SPF protection. However, if you’re indoors, you can wear BB cream for up to eight hours without touching up.
- Can BB cream replace my foundation? It depends on your desired coverage level and skin type. If you want high coverage or have severe blemishes, foundation might be a better option. In case you prefer a natural, everyday look, BB cream can replace your foundation.
BB cream is a versatile beauty product that combines the benefits of skincare and makeup. It provides light to medium coverage, hydrates the skin, and protects from UV rays. Whether you’re a busy individual who wants a quick beauty routine or someone who loves minimalistic looks, BB cream is an excellent addition to your makeup bag. With this guide, we hope you now know everything about BB cream and can make an informed decision when choosing one for yourself.