Are you tired of the same old hairstyles for your short natural hair? Do you want to add some twists to your look but don’t know where to start? Look no further! This article will provide you with tips and tricks for achieving the perfect twist styles on short natural hair. Ready to find something for yourself.
What Are Hair Twists?
Twist styles are a popular way to create texture and definition in natural hair. They are versatile and can be worn in many different ways, from casual to formal. Twist styles involve twisting two sections of hair together to create a rope-like effect. The resulting look can be tight or loose, depending on how much hair is twisted and how tightly it is twisted.
Short natural hair can be a challenge to work with when it comes to twist styles because there is less hair to work with. However, with the right techniques and products, you can achieve a beautiful and unique twist style that complements your natural hair texture.
17 Short Natural Hair Twist Styles
These twists are created by sectioning off small portions of your hair and twisting them from root to tip. Mini twists are perfect for showcasing the natural texture of your hair while maintaining a polished appearance.
Achieve a sleek and elegant style with flat twists. Unlike regular twists, flat twists are created close to the scalp, giving a smooth and refined look. You can experiment with different patterns and directions to create intricate designs that stand out.
A timeless favorite, two-strand twists are a versatile choice. These twists involve dividing your hair into two sections and then twisting each section around the other. You can opt for larger twists for a more relaxed appearance or smaller twists for added definition.
These twists are larger in size and provide a textured and voluminous look. Chunky twists are an excellent option for those who want a striking and eye-catching hairstyle.
After having twists in your hair for a while, unraveling them results in a twist-out hairstyle. This style gives your hair defined curls and added volume. It’s a fantastic way to transition from twists to a more voluminous and curly look.
Cinnamon Roll Twists
Elevate your style with the charming and whimsical cinnamon roll twists. After twisting your hair, gather each twist into a small coil, resembling a cinnamon roll. This style adds a playful and unique touch to your short natural hair.
Gather your twists into an updo at the crown of your head, securing them with pins or hair accessories. It is perfect for formal events or when you want an elegant look.
Add a touch of asymmetry to your style with side-swept twists. Instead of parting your hair in the center, create a deep side part and twist the hair on one side, sweeping it across your forehead for a chic and alluring effect.
Leave the hair at the center of your head untwisted while creating twists on the sides. This style creates a striking contrast between the twisted and untwisted sections.
Faux Hawk Twists
Get an edgy and modern look with the faux hawk twists. Similar to the twisted mohawk, this style features twists on the sides of the head. The twists converge towards the center, mimicking the appearance of a mohawk without shaving the sides.
Elevate your style with the twisted pompadour. Create twists at the front of your hairline and pin them up to create a raised, pompadour-like look.
Frame your face with style by creating twisted bangs. Twist the front sections of your hair, starting from the hairline, and pin them to the side. This adds a touch of elegance and intrigue to your short natural hair.
Create twists around the perimeter of your head, resembling a crown. This style is perfect for showcasing the beauty of your natural curls while exuding grace and confidence.
These twists encircle your head like a halo, creating a stunning and enchanting appearance. It’s a unique and captivating way to wear your short natural hair.
Half-Up Half-Down Twists
Combine the best of both worlds with the half-up half-down twists. Pin up the top half of your twists while leaving the bottom half loose. This style strikes a balance between a carefree look and a more pulled-together appearance.
Embrace a trendy and chic vibe with the twisted bob. If your short natural hair is in a bob-length, twist the sections of your hair to add texture and definition.
Twisted Afro Puff
Keep it fun and carefree with the twisted afro puff. Gather your twists into a voluminous puff at the crown of your head. This style showcases your natural texture while offering a playful and energetic look.
Tips for Achieving Twist Styles on Short Natural Hair
- Start with clean, moisturized hair: Before you begin twisting your hair, make sure it is clean and well-moisturized. Use a gentle shampoo and a deep conditioner to cleanse and hydrate your hair. Dry your hair gently with a microfiber towel or t-shirt, and apply a leave-in conditioner or moisturizer to keep your hair hydrated.
- Use the right products: Choosing the right products for your hair type is crucial for achieving the perfect twist style. Look for products that are specifically formulated for natural hair, such as curl creams, gels, and oils. These products will help to define your curls and reduce frizz, making it easier to achieve a smooth and defined twist style.
- Section your hair: To make the twisting process easier, divide your hair into sections. Use hair clips or hair ties to secure each section of hair, and work on one section at a time. This will help to ensure that each twist is even and well-defined.
- Try different twist styles: There are many different types of twist styles that you can try on short natural hair. Two-strand twists, three-strand twists, flat twists, and comb twists are just a few examples. Experiment with different techniques and styles to find the one that works best for your hair and personal style.
- Protect your hair at night: To maintain your twist style and prevent frizz, protect your hair at night by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wearing a satin bonnet or scarf. This will help to preserve your hairstyle and keep your hair looking its best.
- How long do twist styles last on short natural hair? Twist styles can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how well they are maintained and the products used. To extend the life of your twist style, cover your hair at night and refresh your curls with a curl refresher spray or water and leave-in conditioner mixture.
- Can I wear twist styles to formal events? Yes! Twist styles can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. For a formal event, consider creating a sleek updo with twisted sections of hair, or adding accessories such as hairpins or jewels to your twists.
- What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating twist styles on short natural hair? Some common mistakes to avoid include twisting too tightly, using too much product, not sectioning your hair properly, and failing to moisturize your hair before beginning the twisting process.
- Do I need to use heat to create twist styles on short natural hair? No, heat is not necessary to create twist styles on natural hair. In fact, excessive heat can damage your hair and make it more difficult to maintain your twist style. Instead, use a gentle shampoo and conditioner, and use styling products that are specifically formulated for natural hair.
- Can I create twist styles on short natural hair if I have color or highlights? Yes! Twist styles can be created on natural hair of all colors and textures. However, it is important to take extra care when working with color-treated or highlighted hair, as these types of hair may be more fragile and prone to breakage.
Twist styles on short natural hair are a great way to add texture and definition to your hairstyle. With the right techniques and products, you can achieve a beautiful and unique twist style that complements your natural hair texture. Remember to always start with clean, moisturized hair, section your hair properly, and experiment with different styles and techniques to find the one that works best for you. Happy twisting!