Partial highlights on brown hair are one of the most popular hair color techniques around. They offer a subtle change to your hair while still giving you a fresh new look. Many people opt for partial highlights because they can help brighten up your natural hair color and add dimension to your locks.
If you’re considering getting partial highlights on your brown hair, here, we have compiled some of the prettiest partial highlight styles to help you choose the one you think suits your personality. Scroll down to check them all out!
What Are Partial Highlights?
Partial highlights are a hair coloring technique that involves highlighting only certain sections of your hair rather than coloring your entire head. This technique is often used to create a more natural look and add depth and dimension to your hair.
The great thing about this technique is that it’s versatile and can be customized to suit your unique hair type and style preferences. Whether you have long or short hair, straight or curly, partial highlights can help enhance your natural hair color and give you a fresh new look.
How many highlights are in a partial?
The number of highlights in a partial depends on a few factors, including your hair length, density, and desired effect. However, a typical partial highlight service will include around 20 foils. This will give you a subtle, natural-looking highlight that will brighten up your hair and add dimension.
If you’re working with shorter hair, opting for a more modest number of highlights, typically around 10-15, is advisable. This approach prevents your hair from feeling overwhelmed by the highlights. On the other hand, if you have longer hair, you might want to consider a higher number of highlights, around 25-30. This will impart a bolder and more dramatic transformation to your overall look.
You can also discuss the number of highlights you want with your stylist. They can help you to choose the right number of highlights for your hair type and desired effect.
8 Partial Highlights on Brown Hair Styles to Switch Up Your Look
Face-Framing Caramel Highlights
Face-framing caramel highlights are a delightful way to add a touch of warmth and brightness to your brown hair. These highlights are strategically placed around your face, creating a subtle frame that beautifully complements your natural brown hue. The caramel tones blend seamlessly with your base color, delivering a sun-kissed effect that’s both gentle and flattering. If you’re seeking a change that’s subtle yet striking, these face-framing highlights are the way to go.
The honeycomb balayage style offers a gracefully transitioning look that’s perfect for brown hair. Balayage is all about the art of hand-painting highlights, and when applied to brown hair, it creates a gorgeous contrast. The honey-toned highlights gradually weave into your natural hue, giving your hair a beautiful blend of light and dark. It’s a low-maintenance option that’s ideal for those who want a beachy, sun-kissed appearance with a hint of golden warmth.
Looking to add a playful touch to your brown hair? Peekaboo highlights are a delightful choice. These highlights are strategically placed beneath the top layer of your hair, adding a fun and unexpected pop of color. Whether you opt for vibrant or subtle shades, these hidden highlights reveal themselves when you move or tie your hair up. It’s a style that adds an element of surprise to your everyday look.
Chestnut babylights offer a delicate and natural way to enhance your brown hair. Babylights are incredibly fine highlights that mimic the sun’s gentle lightening effect on hair. When paired with chestnut tones, they introduce depth and a touch of reddish undertone to your brown locks. This style creates a soft, natural appearance that requires minimal maintenance, making it a great choice for those who want effortless elegance.
For a warm and sun-kissed vibe, sun-kissed bronde highlights are an excellent choice. Combining brown and blonde shades, these highlights are evenly distributed throughout your hair, resulting in an all-over radiant glow. Whether you’re walking on the beach or strolling through the city, this style gives you that natural, beachy look that exudes a blend of brown and blonde hues, perfect for capturing the essence of summer year-round.
Auburn Accent Highlights
Auburn accent highlights introduce a rich and vibrant twist to your brown hair. These highlights carry a lovely reddish undertone, creating a captivating depth in your locks. Typically placed around the crown and along the lower lengths, these highlights add a touch of drama to your overall appearance. If you’re looking to experiment with red tones while keeping the majority of your hair brown, this style will bring a delightful change to your look.
Chocolate Cherry Highlights
Bring a bold and sultry edge to your brown hair with chocolate cherry highlights. These highlights infuse a deep, burgundy-red tint into your locks, creating a dramatic yet sophisticated effect. Concentrated primarily on the lower half of the hair, chocolate cherry highlights provide a subtle yet striking transformation that’s sure to turn heads. If you’re seeking a look that exudes confidence and allure, these highlights are a fantastic choice.
Silver or gray highlights can add a striking contrast to your brown hair. These highlights, when placed strategically, blend harmoniously with your natural color, creating a captivating visual impact. Silver streaks are perfect for those who want to embrace the trendy silver or gray hair trend while maintaining the allure of their brown locks. It’s a bold and edgy style that makes a powerful fashion statement.
Tips for Partial Highlights Aftercare
Once you have your beautiful new partial highlights, you’ll want to keep them looking great. Here’s a step-by-step guide to maintaining your new look:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to help preserve your hair color.
- Avoid using hot tools like straighteners and curling irons excessively.
- Use a heat protectant spray when styling your hair with hot tools.
- Get touch-up appointments with your stylist every 6-8 weeks to keep your highlights looking fresh.
- Consider using hair masks and other deep conditioning treatments to keep your hair healthy.
How to choose the Best Partial Highlight Style
When deciding on the perfect partial highlight style for you, it’s essential to take several factors into account:
Hair Type and Texture
The nature of your hair plays a significant role. If your hair is fine or thin, it’s often best to steer clear of highlights around your face, as these can accentuate the appearance of thinness. Conversely, if you have thick or coarse hair, you can be more adventurous with the number of highlights.
Your face shape influences the placement of highlights. For those with a round face, highlighting the sides can create the illusion of a longer face shape. In contrast, if you have an oval face, you have the flexibility to choose highlights from various areas on your head.
Your ultimate goal dictates the style you should go for. If you’re aiming for a subtle hint of highlights, consider discussing with your stylist to add a few foils around your face and crown. However, if you’re in the mood for a more striking transformation, communicate your preference to your stylist, asking for additional foils and a lighter shade for a dramatic effect.
- Are partial highlights suitable for all shades of brown hair? Yes, partial highlights can work well with various shades of brown hair. Whether you have light, medium, or dark brown hair, there are highlight options that can complement your base color.
- Do partial highlights require a lot of maintenance? No, partial highlights are generally low-maintenance. Because they are applied to only a portion of your hair, there is less upkeep involved compared to full highlights. Touch-ups are less frequent, making this a convenient option for many people.
- How do I choose the right shade for my partial highlights? The right shade of highlights depends on your personal preference, skin tone, and the effect you want to achieve. Consult with a professional colorist who can recommend shades that will complement your brown hair and enhance your overall look.
- Can I get creative with the placement of my partial highlights? Absolutely! You can get creative with the placement of your partial highlights. Some popular styles include face-framing highlights, peekaboo highlights, and highlights focused on the lower lengths. Discuss your preferences and ideas with your colorist to achieve a unique and personalized look.
- Will partial highlights damage my brown hair? When done by a skilled colorist using quality products, partial highlights should not significantly damage your brown hair. It’s essential to use proper hair care products and techniques to maintain the health and vibrancy of your hair after the highlighting process.
Partial highlights on brown hair are an excellent choice if you’re looking to add some dimension and depth to your locks without committing to a full color change. With the right technique and shade, you can achieve a subtle, natural-looking style that complements your skin tone and hair type. Remember to consult with a professional stylist, weigh the pros and cons, and choose a style that fits your lifestyle and preferences.
If you’re ready to try out partial highlights on brown hair, book an appointment with your stylist today and get ready to rock your new look!